27 Apr

Gülhane Park

Located on and adjacent to the Topkapi Palace grounds, Gülhane Park is one of Istanbul’s oldest public parks. Originally functioning as the royal hunting grounds, today it is open to the public with large expanses of open space, impressive trees and seasonal flowers. Its name Gülhane comes from the ‘Rosehouse’ within its grounds which was where the 1839 ‘Edict of Gülhane’ was signed, implementing Ottoman Empire reforms which ensured equal rights for Ottoman citizens, regardless of their religion. The park also contains the Column of the Goths (Gotlar Sütunu), a Corinthian-style marble pillar that commemorates a Roman victory over the Goths and is considered one of the oldest intact Roman artifacts in the city.

 

Leave a Reply